Becoming an activities or programs professional is a calling, it truly takes dedicated and compassionate people–we can all agree on that right? Sure, people think it’s all fun and games (and it is fun and there are games) but what sometimes goes overlooked is how these professionals are the jack-of-all-trades to residents and communities alike. Therapist? Check. Server? Check. Entertainer? Check. Marketer? Check. And the list goes on.
Because this is such a special position, here are things only the select few will understand.
1. When someone asks whether you just play games all day
2. When your director asks whether you can get an ice sculpture for a resident’s 100th birthday party
3. When your first wish from a genie looks like this:
4. When state surprises you but you get 0 deficiencies
5. When you are on your sixth day straight without a day off
6. When any holiday comes around
7. When you’re residents can still surprise you at how amazing they are
8. When nothing can keep you down
9. Because you know your residents schedule better than anyone else
10. When see you’re changing the world one person at a time